Monday, February 11, 2008

Strawberry Shortcake - Upcoming characters

I've mentioned my love/hate relationship with the 2000s Strawberry Shortcake series. A lot of the hate comes from the animated portion, with it's bad voice acting (with a few exceptions. Very few.) and wallbanging stories. But the love all comes from the character designs. There is something aesthetically pleasing about the characters, although I can't really describe what it is. I guess it's the potential that the official art holds. Looking at the characters, I get a sense of who they are, which is often dashed by their actual performances in the animated series. Case in point, Lemon Meringue. When her character design first showed up, I thought she'd be great, kinda snooty, but pretty enough that you didn't care. But when she finally turned up in the series, she actually had no personality at all, which is odd, considering how all of the characters are a blatant stereotype. Like Ginger Snap is the token inventor, Angel Cake is the Preteen Drama Queen, Orange Blossom is the hippie, Peppermint Fizz is the bad girl, Rainbow Sherbert is the pirate, Huckleberry Pie is the token boy, etc. I guess she's supposed to be the dumb blonde, but the majority of her dialogue is just a variation of "Huh?" That's not blonde, that's blank.
Anyway, I finally got to see Let's Dance, which I had been looking forward to because of Apricot, although as usual I was slightly let down (but only slightly this time). But one of the extras on the DVD (glad to see them after their absence on The Berry Blossom Festival DVD) was a "photo album" of all the characters, including a few that haven't shown up in the series (like Cherry Cuddler), and three that are going to be in the upcoming DVD:

Nerd Power!


Scarf Power?

Well, she looks...nice...

Watermelon Kiss is giving me some serious Yamato Nadeshiko vibes, especially since her mini-profile says she's "always looking for ways to be extra helpful." I just bet she's the character that's so nice it drives you nuts. Not that it'll drive any character in the series crazy, just the viewers at home.
Plum Puddin' is a girl once again, the second time she's changed since her original debut as a boy back in 1980 (speaking of which, where are the boys in the new series? I mean, I know that this it's primarily aimed at little girls, but come on!). Personally, I think she looks way too much like Tea Blossom. Other than that, she's got the nerd-prep look down. I think she's the first character to have glasses, which is fitting for the token nerd character. So, the question remains, who will she hit it off with better? Will she bond with Blueberry Muffin over their mutual love of books, or will she use her genius to band together with Ginger Snap and build some kind of super robot the likes of which has never been seen in Strawberry Land?
Out of the three, I like Banana Candy the best, although I dislike her name. What's wrong with Banana Split? Or what about Banana Cream Pie, huh? Too risque or something? But seriously, she's rocking that scarf. I have a feeling that the reason I like her best is the hair. I tend to go for the characters with fluffy styles.

And I just have one more thing to say:

Apricot, you don't have to be a pathological liar just to make people like you. You're cute just the way you are.
That is all.

No comments: