Thursday, February 5, 2009

SSC - Happily Ever After

Despite seeming like it would come out much later in the game, Happily Ever After was released a few days ago. While I already watched one half of it, it was my first time seeing the first segment, a retelling of Sleeping Beauty. A few thoughts:
  • Why isn't Ginger Snap part of the cover art? She's in the first story, too!
  • Banana Candy just fails in her duties as a page, but then again, it was Brambleberry's fault for not having a mail box in the first place. Or maybe she had one and Banana Candy just didn't look hard enough for it. Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised.
  • What's up with Tangerina Torta suddenly gaining an accent? She never had one before...
  • Why was Brambleberry so pleased that the princess was put to sleep, when she was supposed to vanish forever? I guess she (or the writers) forgot.
  • I was hoping the story would somehow end with the prince and Brambleberry becoming a couple. It's obvious she was crushing on him, and why would he eavesdrop on her if he hadn't followed her to the castle in the first place.
  • Wouldn't Rainbow Sherbert have been more behooved to cover her tracks with "I was saying 'my best friends'" than "'my best friend and my other best friend?'" If you're not listening for it, it's easy to miss an S, and makes more sense than that other phrase. But then again, this is Rainbow Sherbert we're talking about.
  • On the other hand, I'm sort of amused with the lead-in to A Princess Called Rap. Rainbow Sherbet mentions she's thinking about cutting her hair really short, and Angel Cake is all "No! No haircuts ever!" Considering how everyone has gotten superlong hair lately, I'm not surprised she reacted like that. Status quo is god, after all.
  • Was it just me, or was the dialogue really stilted in both stories? I mean, not all the time, but a lot of the time it just didn't flow right, like there was a kink in the deliveries or something.
On the note of 'fairy tales retold so they have almost nothing to do with their origins,' I've noticed that the latest Barbie DVD is called Thumbelina, but according to the synopsis, it's really a modern-day environmentalist tale. But the real reason I'm mentioning this is that the main character gets involved with a human girl named, of all things, Makena. Despite the spelling, the trailer reveals it's pronounced just like McKenna. So, I'm just wondering, what is up with that name? I'm tempted to rent the movie when it comes out just so I can make some sort of comparison post. Makena vs. McKenna!
While I've never checked out any of the Barbie DVDs, I did catch the beginning of Mariposa when it aired on Nickelodeon, and I really was sorely tempted to rent it purely for the snark value. I mean, I only caught the first ten minutes or so, but there was so much wallbanging going on, I wanted to share my thoughts. But I never got around to it, and the urge eventually went away.

No comments: