Friday, February 5, 2010

Thoughts on This Year's Oscar Nominations

As you probably know by now, the nominees for this year's Oscars were announced on Tuesday. Later than usual, but then, the Oscars themselves aren't airing 'til March, presumably because of the Winter Olympics. For this year, they doubled the amount of nominees for Best Picture, though to be perfectly honest, I've only seen two of them (District 9, Up), and of the ones I haven't seen, there's only one I have any desire to check out (and I probably won't do that until it's on DVD, anyway). But that's usually how it is with the Best Picture noms for me, so there you go.
Now, is it just me, or does it seem a bit unfair for Up to be nominated in both the Best Picture and Best Animated Feature Film? I feel like it should be one or the other, y'know? I mean, if they can put in a rule so that no more than two songs from a movie can be nominated for Best Song, then surely they can make a rule that a Best Picture nom can't be in for Best Animated Feature. Although I could just be bitter because Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs didn't get in. Not that I thought it would win even if it did get nominated, but it would have been nice, y'know? Basically, if it doesn't go to Up, it'll go to The Princess and the Frog, no question.
At least we've got a decent set of Best Song nominees for a change. Seriously, the past couple of years have been just terrible. I'm kind of surprised that there's only four songs, but four is definitely better than three, especially when two of them are from the same movie (as I said before, there's a new rule about that). I'm not surprised at the songs that got picked from The Princess and the Frog, though I was kind of hoping for "Dig a Little Deeper." I haven't seen Nine, though I wanted to, and I love the original Broadway cast, so I have no doubts that "Take it All" is a good song. Never heard of Paris 36, but the description sounded interesting, so I put it in my queue. We'll see how that goes.

No comments: