Thursday, May 12, 2011

Berry Bitty Adventures News

So it seems that Strawberry Shortcake's Berry Bitty Adventures has been renewed for a second season of 13 episodes, according to this press release.  I wonder if the series will continue to be full half-hour episodes, or break into two 11 minute episodes per show?  I'm inclined to think it's the former, since AGP has been upfront about that in the past.  Which is kind of a shame, really.  Much as I love the design, characters, and overall world of the new series, most of the episodes just don't have enough in them to fill a full 22 minutes.  Part of the problem, I think, is that Strawberry is usually the voice of reason, the character with the solution (and being a show for young girls, the solution is usually pretty obvious).  Thus, to stretch the episode out, Strawberry is often kept apart from the other girls as they go about their ways of trying to solve the problem, making it seem that they're all better friends with each other than with Strawberry, even though she's supposedly the heart of the group.
I've often thought, and probably said here, that Sushi Pack and Adventures in Care-a-Lot, would have benefited from being given a full episode for their stories (and the Care Power Team movies proved I was right), and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic just wouldn't be the same if the episodes were half as long (though it would probably still be awesome).  But in the case of SSCBBA, I really feel that the stories would be better served in 11 minute chunks.
Of course, I'm getting off topic from what I really wanted to talk about.  According to the press release, the new season will introduce a new character whose special talent is music.  This is apparently the first time a new character has been added to the SSC franchise in "more than 5 years," which strikes me as a little odd.  I mean, I started this blog less than five years ago, and I've blogged about new characters debuting in the DiC series.  So either those characters were created well before AGP let anyone know about them, or they're just looking for a nice, round number.  That "more than 5 years" phrase also puts the kibosh on the new character being a reimagined character from either the 80s or the 2003 series.
I know I sound kind of negative here, but I'm actually really excited about this new character.  I just wonder what confections are left to make characters out of?  Perhaps Carrot Cake will finally join the cast?  Or some kind of Buckle?  We'll just have to wait and see.

No comments: